Let me introduce Finola Rance. Fiona lives and works in Eastbourne and recently proposed a ‘community fridge’ be hosted by St Ronan’s. We have agreed to support Finola’s initiative – Sandy Lang
The community fridge aims to reduce food waste within the Eastbourne and the wider Lower Hutt communities. The fridge will be used as a central drop-off point for over-flow produce from local gardens, as well as for nonperishable food products. It will be situated outdoors (in a shelter) just behind St Ronan’s church. 5 Although Eastbourne is a high socio-economic area there are nevertheless a good number in the community who would benefit hugely every so often from a boost to their pantries. The fridge food would be accessible to all. As long as someone is using the excess, food waste is being reduced and peope are helped…
- The fridge will be monitored and cleaned by Finola and other volunteers.
- Once a week all leftover goods will be donated to the Lower Hutt FoodBank.
- It is hoped the fridge will be in place by late spring.
- Volunteers are need on a roster basis to help me check, clean and clear the fridge.
- Assistance is needed to design, source materials and construct a weather shelter for the fridge to sit in. If you have any expertise or building materials you could donate that would be much appreciated.
- If you have any artistic talent, help is also needed to design a logo for use on the fridge and promotional materials.
The best contact would be by email firstname.lastname@example.org